ads

ISP Review: Electronic Box

Since I haven't seen any mention of these guys on the forum I thought I would write up a review of what I have experienced with them so far. They seem to be a new entrant to the Ontario DSL resellers market. A friend from Quebec recommended them so I thought I would read up on them and give them a shot.

I ordered dry DSL Speedline Extreme installed on the "second pair". Advertised download speed of up to 15 Mbps and upload speed of up to 0.8 Mbps.

The Good:

-Very competitive pricing (IMO) with 3 different download caps of 125 GB / 250 GB / 500 GB. I selected 250GB for my first month but I fully expect to drop down to 125GB after that (I was told there are no fees to change between the levels but it must be done at the start of the month).
-Unlimited downloads from 2AM to noon.
-Lead time to install was 5 business days.
-Calls to their toll-free line were answered in 5 to 15 minutes (I called 3 different times for various reasons). Every person I had contact with spoke english very well, they were extremely knowledgeable and very friendly.
-The two technicians showed up during the specified window (1PM to 9PM). First tech from Bell arrived shortly before 2PM and worked outside for a good 20-30 minutes. I expected his work to end there but since I was getting work done on the second pair, he offered to come inside the house to make sure it was working. This worked out quite well for me (and the second tech) as he installed a new jack beside the current location and hooked up all the remaining wiring. He then used a fancy box to show me my line stats (easily within expected specs). He left after having spent about 1 hour and 15 minutes total. After he had gone, I plugged my modem into the line and everything appeared to be working. The second tech showed up shortly after 7:30PM and had nothing to do since the good guy from Bell did all his work.
-Speeds delivered are exactly as advertised.




The Bad:

-They are slow (again IMO) to respond to e-mail. I sent a few e-mails to their Sales and Support e-mail addresses and always got a response within 24 to 96 hours. I think 24 is good but 96 is too long.
-I wasn't given any account information and had to contact them to ask for the information required for the DSL login name and password.
-I wasn't given any info on what the two technicians would be doing. I originally thought they would both be from Bell (duh) and it wasn't until the Bell tech showed up and he told me that nobody else was coming that I figured out the second tech would be from somewhere else. I called their support line to find out what each tech should be doing.
-Many of the FAQs on their website only appear to be available in french.

Post a Comment

0 Comments